Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2017, 03:32:05 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  qmlanguagecentre.on-rev.com
|-+  Academic Writing
| |-+  Referencing
| | |-+  Different referencing techniques
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Different referencing techniques  (Read 1035 times)
jnicolas

Email
« on: October 27, 2010, 10:41:50 PM »

In the learning module named "Paraphrasing", an introduction to referencing is given for the Harvard system of referencing. I was thinking that it supposedly mean that there are other systems of referencing, but my question is:

Is there a specific referencing system used for academic writings or does it depend of the course, university ?
vincent

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »

What do you mean??
 ???
eaptutor1
Global Moderator

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 08:27:19 PM »

Jnicolas is asking about the different referencing styles - like Harvard (author/date), Vancouver (numbers in the text) that students need to use when referring to the sources they get their ideas from. It is important to reference correctly, otherwise you might be accused of plagiarism (copying ideas and not acknowledging them = cheating!).

At Queen Mary most departments use the Harvard system, except the medical school, which uses Vancouver.

I wish there was  a universal system accepted across all universities, but this is not the case - not even across departments, or sometimes it just depends on the individual lecturer. If there is any doubt, just check with him/her as to which system they prefer their students to use.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: