Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2017, 02:38:06 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  qmlanguagecentre.on-rev.com
|-+  Academic Writing
| |-+  The Writing Process
| | |-+  The first sentence
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The first sentence  (Read 2576 times)
Miku

Email
« on: October 22, 2010, 10:50:17 PM »

I always take time to write a first sentence and an introduction of my essay.

How do you find a first sentence and an introduction when you write an essay?
eaptutor1
Global Moderator

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 06:09:18 PM »

I can't write an introduction until I've planned all the content and what will go into each paragraph. I have to know what I will be introducing my reader to.

The first sentence... that's a very interesting question. First impressions and conclusions have a very important effect on the reader and stay in her/his mind; an important thing to remember when it comes to writing exam answers, too. Those  impressions on the examiner translate into marks/grades.
michelle

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 08:22:43 PM »

I also have to know what I'm going to write throughout my essay to find my first sentence.
Sometimes I use news in brief and something which has a connection with the suject of my essay. Or in France we like uing an author's sentence to begin with.
Martin Barge

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 09:38:16 PM »

Hello!

One function of the introduction to an essay is to tell the reader what the essay is about - a kind of summary of the themes and ideas of the essay.

So I don't write my introduction until I know what the themes and structure of my essay are. I form the ideas and structure of my essay from my reading and note-taking about the topic, which I then write into a first draft of my essay. Once I have a draft of the essay, I then have a clear idea of what I want to say in my introduction. So, at this stage, I write the first draft of my introduction.

I then continue editing and revising my essay (including the introduction) until I'm happy with the overall structure and flow of information. It is during these drafting and editing stages that I formulate and refine my opening statement.

I hope this makes sense  ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:40:27 PM by Martin Barge » Logged
jnicolas

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 10:32:21 PM »

I try to find a first sentence that is original and a bit surprising ; I avoid at all costs generalities who aren't really attractive. But to be able to do this, I need to do a lot of thinking before about everything the subject implies and why it is relevant in my work.

However, at the time of writing the introduction - which is after a good planning of the work - I try to keep in mind a logic structure and ask questions I will answer in my work. As eaptutor1 said the first and last impressions are really important.
Kanych

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 03:42:37 PM »

I also have to know what I'm going to write throughout my essay to find my first sentence.
Sometimes I use news in brief and something which has a connection with the suject of my essay. Or in France we like uing an author's sentence to begin with.
Our teacher, said us differently: the most mistakes that students do is - writte above the text  in the right corner somebodies quotes!!! so, please don´t use this one, it is big problem here in England!!! Do it in your Countries, but not HERE!!!
fa9lino0o

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 04:42:11 PM »

Introduction is very important to write a well structured essay. Furthermore, to begin an essay with a good introduction, first focus on introducing the topic generally. Then, explain why is the so important. At the end of introduction describe the essay.
Martin Barge

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 10:46:39 PM »

Our teacher, said us differently: the most mistakes that students do is - writte above the text  in the right corner somebodies quotes!!! so, please don´t use this one, it is big problem here in England!!! Do it in your Countries, but not HERE!!!

Hello there Kanych,

I would just like to clarify the points you have made here.

I think what Michelle is saying is that, in France, a writer might like to quote from another author (or an authority on a subject) at the beginning of an essay. We also have this convention in some types of English writing. An interesting and thought-provoking quotation can be a very effective way to engage the reader and to introduce the overall theme of your essay.

However, it really does depend on the type of writing that you are doing. To begin your essay with a quote may not be appropriate in a scientific report, but it might be very suitable in an essay of literary criticism. But I would stress that it not something that is definitively "right" or "wrong" - it really comes down to choosing the most appropriate conventions for the type of writing you are doing. And the best way to learn those conventions is to read lots of articles and essays that have been written by experts and scholars in your discipline.

But as you say, we should certainly avoid writing quotes from other authors in the top right-hand corner of our essays!! However, you might scribble notes and quotes all over your early drafts while you're perfecting your writing!!

Thanks for the interesting discussion!!

Best wishes,
Martin
rouvaim

Email
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 02:26:05 PM »

I always take time to write a first sentence and an introduction of my essay.

How do you find a first sentence and an introduction when you write an essay?
:D
bt10466

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 02:33:34 PM »

i will find a solid sentence for the introdution that can summerise the whole topic and can help to collect some information into your mind showing relation to the topic and help you out  :)
bt11330

Email
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 02:39:03 PM »

The first sentence of an essay is always a crucial one. I always start my essay by writing a short definition of the topic.
Marinapn

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 10:21:23 AM »

There will be sentence from the Supreme Court on April 23th 10am. GMT 9:00 Korean time
I just check it from a victim's blog. I just wish that the court will nail the Jung bastard for good.
I'll update the news later.

By the way, the best program for marketing, SEO and SMM for me - it a XRumer 12.0.9 Elite :)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: